Monday, March 21, 2005

Something worth sharing

Something I read from the paper yesterday... I am not sure how real this story is but it is pretty touching.
A soldier was finally returning coming home to the US after having fought in the war in Vietnam. He phoned his parents from San Francisco and said: "Mom, Dad, I'm coming home but I have a favor to ask. I've a friend I would like to bring home with me."
"Sure," his parents replied, "we'd love to meet him."
"There's something you should know", the son continued. "He was hurt pretty badly in the fighting. He stepped on a landmine and lost an arm and a leg. He has nowhere else to go, and I want him to come live with us."
"I'm sorry to hear that, son. Maybe we can help him find somewhere to live."
"No, dad. I want him to live with us."
"Son," said the father, "you don't know what you're asking. Someone with such a handicap would be a teribble burden on us. We have our own lives to live, and we can't let something like this intefere with our lives."
"I think you should just come home and forget about this guy. He'll find a way to get by on his own."
At that point, the son hung up and his parents heard nothing from him. A few days later, however, they received a call from San Francisco police: their son had died after falling from a building. They believed it was suicide.
The grief stricken parents flew to San Francisco and were taken to the city morgue to identify their son's body.
They recognised him, bu to their horror, they also discovered something they didn't know - he had only one arm and one leg.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Landmines are especially cruel devices made to disfigure and destruct. Long after the war is over, the landmines persist.

It is estimated that over 100,000,000 of these are still buried but live in the world. Many of the victims are small children playing in fields.

Mark
http://minefriends.com

March 21, 2005 8:05 PM  
Blogger Jaselee said...

He should jump. If he felt the parents is so ashamed of it, then he has no reason to live because he was too weak to figure out that his parent will love him no matter what.

March 22, 2005 1:08 PM  
Blogger zgirl said...

I actually thought the same thing as you Jase. I mean, if the parents know that it is their own son..then they will welcome him back no matter what.

But thinking from that guy side, he would have thought his parents think a handicap person is a burden.

I thnnk I will be in a dilemma.

March 22, 2005 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home