Thursday, September 16, 2004

Gastroenteritis

I have been plagued by gastroenteritis up to 3 times since July. And mum told me to check-up on the net what is gastroenteritis. Eventhough I used to work in a hospital, the word 'gastroenteritis' is still alien to me. I never rub shoulders with doctors nor nurses, so I don't expect myself to be well equipped with medical terms. But I am quite close with the pharmacist and accountant yet I am not familiar with the name of drugs...and yes, I still hate accounts.
So, what is Gastroenteritis?
According to Dr Lockie, Gastroenteritis aka gastric flu is the inflammation of digestive tract. It is usually caused by a virus transmitted by personal contact, contaminated food or water, by specific food which produce an extreme allergic reaction, by a sudden change in diet, or by any illness or drug which alters natural balance of bacteria in gut.
Symptoms:- nausea & vomitting, diarrhoea, cramping abdominal pain, fever and exhaustion. A mild case may be limited to vague nausea and a loose stool or two. In infants and elderly people, 'stomach upsets' can be serious as they easily lead to dehyration and even shock.
Best treatment:- Rest, plenty of fluids
But I still wonder whether it has something to do with the office feng-shui. Cos' I started to have this gastric flu when I start working in this new place. Hrmmn...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home