Monday, September 06, 2004

Friends at work

I still have problem posting from home due to the spam-ware in my desktop. Maybe I should call up Dell BUT *uh-oh* it has got nothing to do with them. Hrmmn…so, I guess I will just continue posting from my workplace. At the moment, I have been typing with my notebook using notepad, then post it from the office. Why didn't I connect to the net using my notebook? The answer: lazy.
So, back to the topic – Friends at work

I was thinking of something I read about friends we made at work in a magazine. So, let's discuss.

We spent more of our time at work, than anywhere else … apart from when we’re asleep. Are the friends we make at work, just colleagues we're happy to see at work but wouldn’t really want to see socially?

Work seems a good place to make friends, because, interactions have to be made. When we are at a function, we can choose not to talk to anyone, just minding our own business – in the end, no friendship was developed. But at work, the interactions are organized. Take this for example: your boss ask you to work with so & so on a project, and then you realize you like this person and without knowingly, you started meeting so & so for lunch, dinner or even shop together.

Friendships are based on commonality. It’s the shared experiences that draw us together in the first place and then keep us together. That is why, when we start working, we tend to lose the ‘connection’ with our childhood friends, school friends, etc, etc and tend to be closer with our work friends. Why? When you talk about a certain work issue, your work friends will understand what you are blabbing about.


Having friends at work can make the daily grind go a lot better and I am sure, you will feel much less of a life sentence. I think you will know what I mean! Having friends at work also make us feel that we have something to look forward to at work – apart from wanting to hear more gossip, I am sure there is something about your work friends that you find comfortable with.

But, we do need a life away from work - to go for dinner or an evening drink with someone without talking about work. I am sure we do not want to talk about work day & night. When I meet my friends (not colleagues) for dinner, we only ask "How's work?”and that's that. Then, we will continue with other topics. Anyway, too much ranting about work will just bored the other person if they are not working in the same line as you.

So, I guess … even though we felt there is a better clique with our work friends, we should have our normal friends too... in-order to have a so-called balance life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jaselee said...

Here's a quick tip. To remove spyware & such, try Ad-Aware from Lavasoft. However, for viruses and such, try AVG Anti Virus. BTW, these two are free and you can use them as long as you like. I've got both installed at home and I never had any troubles with viruses, etc.

September 06, 2004 11:56 AM  
Blogger ashotiwoth said...

yeah... try out Ad Aware... it work wonders for me...

September 06, 2004 10:24 PM  
Blogger zgirl said...

Ok, I will try ;)

September 07, 2004 8:41 AM  
Blogger Blissful saddhu said...

Hi there zgirl I really liked your blog this post , it was an informative read. Although it wasn't the exact topic I was searching for. I thought you might be interested in checking out my blog at http://mozilla-fox.blogspot.com .
All the best.

January 23, 2006 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home