Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Suo gan

I was reading Harry Potter 5 - Order of the Phoenix and it mentioned that Hermione gave Harry a musical box which tune to see-o-gan or suogan: A lullaby which Harry's mother used to hum to him when he was still a baby. He also heard Aunt Petunia humming it to Dudley before.
No, it is not in the JK Rowling's version. This was in an e-book given by my friend when the book store went out of stock with Harry Potter. I started quite late with Harry Potter. As mentioned in my first few posts, I did not read HP until I watched Prisoner of Azkaban (never watch Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets yet that time). I started to quite like that show and later bought HP 1 and 2 DVD.
e-Book 1 - 4 is the real JK Rowling's copy but not book 5. Eventually someone made an effort to re-write book 5. And people like me, who could not wait any longer for Half Blood Prince to be released (can't blame me actually. Have read the whole set for about 4-5 times)... I eventually started on this non-JK Book 5. I have been keeping the e-book for some time but did not indulge in Book 5 because I have read the REAL book and find it ridiculous to read a fake-one. Yeah, so ridiculous me is now reading an e-book which I used to think was ridiculous.
I went searching for See-o-gan or suogan frantically. I typed see-o-gan: No luck. Is there really such word like See-o-gan or Suogan? Is it really a Welsh lullaby, as mentioned by the author?
So I typed suogan(which was supposed to be in Welsh): Oh, we don't have suogan but maybe you meant 'Suo gan'?
Great.
So suo gan is a relatively well-known Welsh lullaby. Some people might know it from the movie "Empire of the Sun,". Heard of the movie but have not watch it before. Even if I did, don't recall a thing about it. Downloaded 'suo gan', one was the version from Empire of the Sun and another one was by Ambrosian Boys Choir. It sounds exactly the same but I prefer not-the-choir version. Deep down,I think they are of the same version just different name but ... whatever.
This is how 'suo gan' goes (top is in Welsh and bottom is in English):
Huna blentyn yn fy mynwes,
Clyd a chynnes ydyw hon;
Breichiau mam sy'n dyn am danat,
Cariad mam sy dan fy mron;
Ni cha dim amharu'th gyntun,
Ni wna undyn a thi gam;
Huna'n dawel, anwyl blentyn,
Huna'n fwyn ar fron dy fam.
Huna'n dawel, heno, huna,
Huna'n fwyn, y tlws ei lun;
Pam yr wyt yn awr yn gwenu,
Gwenu'n dirion yn dy hun?
Ai angylion fry sy'n gwenu,
Arnat ti yn gwenu'n llon,
Tithau'n gwenu'n ol dan huno,
Huno'n dawel ar fy mron?
Paid ag ofni, dim ond deilen
Gura, gura ar y ddor;
Paid ag ofni, ton fach unig
Sua, sua ar lan y mor;
Huna blentyn, nid oes yma
Ddim i roddi iti fraw;
Gwena'n dawel yn fy mynwes
Ar yr engyl gwynion draw.
Sleep my baby, at my breast,
'Tis a mother’s arms round you.
Make yourself a snug, warm nest.
Feel my love forever new.
Harm will not meet you in sleep,
Hurt will always pass you by.
Child beloved, always youll keep,
In sleep gentle, mother's breast nigh.
Sleep in peace tonight, sleep,
O sleep gently, what a sight.
A smile I see in slumber deep,
What visions make your face bright?
Are the angels above smiling,
At you in your peaceful rest?
Are you beaming back while in
Peaceful slumber on mother's breast?
Do not fear the sound,it's a breeze
Brushing leaves against the door.
Do not dread the murmurring seas,
Lonely waves washing the shore.
Sleep child mine, there's nothing here,
While in slumber at my breast,
Angels smiling, have no fear,Holy angels guard your rest.
This fake JK is quite an author himself/herself. Should be an adult .. cos there's a paragraph or two about wars fought by muggles. Could he/she be a Welsh or is 'suo gan' famous all over Britain? I've not finished reading e-Book 5 yet but I think he/she is quite good with his/her imagination. Maybe he/she should write a book of his/her own. Easier said than done I guess.
The Empire of the Sun version and Ambrosian Boys Choir version = Same thing.
I find Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson listenable. I like the part "I spread my wings and I learn how to fly"...blah, blah..

1 Comments:

Blogger JaG said...

I was late reading HP as well, but now I can't wait till the next book comes out!!

March 22, 2005 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home