Monday, August 30, 2004

Best Friend

As we aged, we go through a few different phase of life. And the number of friends dwindle (I am not sure whether such word exist. It supposed to mean, 'drop') with years. When we were young, we were always saying 'my best friend this .., my best friend that..'
I don't have a best friend. I think that is, hrmmn... weird - to not have a best friend.
Someone told me, you can only have one best friend. I am kinda greedy. I chose to have few close friends instead.For every phase of my life, I have about 4-5 close friends. Of cos, some did not stay close but we are still friends. We still see each other occasionally. But,hrmmnn, truthfully ... the conversation was not what I used to enjoy. Now I understand why parents always say they have a generation gap with their young ones. I felt the same when I am meeting my childhood friends. Conversation became very official-like.
It's like "How's your work?" (smile) - "Oh.It's ok. what about yours then?" (Smile) - "Yeah,not bad" (more smiles).
I feel at ease when I am with my college,Uni friends or colleagues. Some of them, yes. I still remember I used to be very close with this girl in Uni. She cared for me like her sister. We confide in each other. We talk on the phone occasionally. We meet up for dinner, lunch but never breakfast (cos she has hard time getting up early).Then, we started growing apart. She met a guy and became busy with him and her work. And I became close with another friend of ours. And I started to confide in him. But alas, he won't be here for long for he is migrating to Australia. How weird. Friends come and go. As usual, I will say this is part of life. Before long, I am sure another 'friend' will come and touch my life.
The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this? - Henry David Thoreau

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaselee said...

Same thing here. Went through the phrases. Now only got a few good friends around like Fuminari, Anand, and 3 friends all now in KL. Nothing gives greater pleasure than that. Why? Because with lesser friend, you are able to focus on that friendship, as you learn about the other person's personality. It's fun actually to know about another person and how you are there to help.

You will have a lot of acquaintances but you only have a few friends. - I actually forgot who quoted this...

August 30, 2004 9:50 PM  
Blogger Jaselee said...

BTW, the answer to the post, is Jerry McGuire, starred Tom Cruise & Renée Zellweger.

August 31, 2004 12:16 AM  
Blogger ashotiwoth said...

*sob* seriously touched, Jase... *sob*
thanks for considering me your close friend.

I never actually have *A* best friend, for myself always move around (my dad's a govt officer, moving house is almost our 2nd nature). Maybe I can start to look for one now as I'm already working, and won't be moving that much.... :P

August 31, 2004 2:46 PM  
Blogger Jaselee said...

You'll be even a better friend if you just get that freakin' PS2!!!

August 31, 2004 11:01 PM  
Blogger Cal said...

Hey! Thanks for your post, I thought i'd do the right thing and read your blog. I agree, friendships as with everything else in life is extremely mutable. You just have to go with the flow!

As they say in China:
Friends are like clothes, they can be discarded and changed at will.
Family is like your limbs, you are disabled without them.

By the way I love Thoreau!

September 01, 2004 12:45 PM  
Blogger imAg said...

Hi Zirc...

I really loves this port... it's your best one... And a very mature one. I'm a little bit older than you.... 28yo right now (scary number!!!) and I must say you're absolutely right. Friendship is very dependant to many other aspects of your life, and life goes busier as you grow up so that means friendship becomes more and more complicated.

I don't think *best friends* of our childhood are "less" friends than the few ones that we met when we get older.... it's just when you're a child you have more time to friends, and then you grow... you have to study, to work, to live by yourself, probably have a partner, couple, girl/boy/friend.......

...all of these aspects make your time for friendship much shorter. Also, life tries to steal our inocence and our capacity to trust in other people (we all know how life shows all the "dirty" aspects of humanity as we grow older) so we confront friendship with more prejudices and caution...

That's the reason why I found the sentence by Henry David Thoreau so great. Just try to be friendly with your friends. Treat them as you'll love they would treat you.

And sorry for my bad english... poor spaniard :P.

September 03, 2004 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home